If you wish, we will provide written prescriptions for products to be purchased elsewhere. We want you to make an informed decision, especially in situations where the products are exceptionally low priced. Please keep in mind that major manufacturers maintain a strict policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians. Many online or catalog pharmacy sales appear to be through non-approved channels. Manufacturer guarantees on their products are null and void if products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes guarantee reimbursement programs for heartworm, intestinal parasite and flea control claims. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries have been illegally diverted and sold through online and catalog sources in the United States. Many discount pet pharmacies have been cited and fined innumerable times in multiple states by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedures.
We will provide written prescriptions according to the following guidelines:
- All state and federal laws apply to all prescriptions.
- We will provide the written prescription to be filled at the pharmacy of your choice. Please treat the written prescription with respect, we cannot rewrite prescriptions if we feel there is a chance of misuse. You can pick up the written prescription from us or we will mail it to you.
- For security reasons, we will not communicate with the online/catalog pharmacy. We will not fax or call prescriptions into these sources.
- It is your responsibility to ensure the prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly.
- Laws often prohibit the faxing of prescriptions and you may note that your online pharmacy requires you to mail the written prescription to their address and they do not accept faxed prescriptions from your home or business.
- Read the website information provided closely and follow those directions. We cannot become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased other than directly from us.
The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy reviews online pharmacy sites and accredits recommended sites through the VIPPS or Vet-VIPPS program. http://www.NABP.net provides a link to recommended internet pharmacy sites. There are currenty at least two sites approved for veterinary patients.
Our relationship with the drug manufacturers ensures that the prescription drugs we dispense are safe and trusted. In fact, all of the major veterinary drug manufacturers maintain a strict practicing veterinary – only sales policy. These manufacturers have this policy in place because they know that veterinarians and their staff are best suited to discuss the issues relating to safety and efficacy as well as the side effects and risks that may be associated with your animal companion.
Exactly how some of the retailers and internet pharmacies acquire your pets’ drugs isn’t publicized given that they circumvent the veterinary-only sales policies of the drug makers. Many of these companies obtain their products through diversion. Diversion, for most of these cases, involves a way for these companies to obtain the drugs from an unauthorized channel. Most diverted product is purchased from the manufacturer by unscrupulous individuals who resell to an online pharmacy to make a quick profit. Although we recognize that diversion is not necessarily illegal, we do feel it is an unethical method. Diversion eliminates the ability to know exactly how your pet’s medication has been stored or handled and whether it is an effective or even a safe product. Furthermore, products purchased through on-line pharmacies will null and void any manufacturer guarantees or reimbursement programs due to product failure.
Due to the ever increasing number of online pharmacies, we cannot determine if any specific pharmacy is safe, ethical and a legal provider of medications. Our best recommendation is to order from an online Vet-VIPPS (verified internet pharmacy practice site) accredited pharmacy. It is important to be aware that despite having the VIPPS seal of approval, it is still likely that diversion is involved with your products and that the product manufacturer will no longer guarantee the product.
We try to be competitive with our pricing and attempt to use rebates and coupons whenever possible. We fully realize the expense that can be involved with caring for your animal companions. Our goal again is for your pets to live happier and healthier lives and we want our clients to be informed and aware of their options. With all of this in mind, we will continue to offer written prescriptions and we feel obligated to inform you if we have evidence or feel strongly that there is a safety risk with a pharmacy that you have chosen. Beyond that, we will respect your decision. Most importantly, we appreciate the opportunity to help you and your pets.